Update: As a reminder, lids MUST be taped SHUT. People have not been taping the lids of their containers closed. This is a requirement and helps keep others safe. We ask that you do your part as well.
We need to keep needles out of the landfill! We are accepting used needles, scalpels and lancets from the public in our red needle disposal container. Here are the rules:
- Put used needles, lancets, scalpels, syringes into a hard plastic container such as a coffee can, laundry detergent or fabric softener bottle or a purchased red sharps container (available at your pharmacy). When this is full, tape the lid shut and bring to the Smith Building and put into the red mailbox by the Smith Building door.
- Very large containers such as cat litter or extra large laundry detergent containers do not fit in the opening and plug it so that others are unable to use it.
- NO loose needles, vials or sharps.
- NO needles in a pop bottle or milk jug. People are using pop and water bottles or plastic lunch containers–this MUST STOP as these are NOT acceptable containers for used sharps.
- NO needles in boxes or cardboard!
- NO garbage.
- NO batteries.
- The red mailbox is ONLY for the red sharps containers, or other hard plastic containers such as the laundry detergent or fabric softener bottles (needs to be this thick of plastic).
- There is no fee for this service. Do NOT abuse this service.
- At this time, this is the only site for disposal.
For more information call us at 563-382-4662.